Mushroom Kingdom Chess Set (II) 3D Printing Final Work


The process of 3D printing these chess pieces was full of twists and turns.

I initially printed a pawn piece for testing and discovered that my design had too many details, which could not be exquisitely printed on a small model. Some sharp edges also could not be printed clearly.

Therefore, I adjusted my design, filleted most of the sharp edges, and removed the base (the small mushrooms on the base required support material, but it was difficult to separate them from the support materials, which meant the small mushrooms could not be printed properly. Without the small mushrooms as ornaments, the base was meaningless). I changed the eyes from protruding to recessed so that the printed shapes could be more precise. I also slightly enlarged the model to better showcase the details.

The printing process is fun. I record some key moments as following.





This print turned out to be quite successful, and removing the support materials was easy. Overall, I am very satisfied with this print.









Unfortunately, I still can see long "scars" on some of the models' faces. I guess it's because the heads of these models are gradually becoming smaller from bottom to top, and the 3D printing basically is printed layer by layer. So when the layer size is changing, the nozzle may leave some residue while changing the position? This is just my guess. I will get to the bottom of this problem next term. :)

I am planning to colour the models when I come back from China. I will apply a matte finish to the model using Mr. Super Clear brand matte varnish. The matte varnish can help the paint attach to the surface smoothly. I will paint it with poster colour. I have done this many times with my resin models. Hopefully, it will work with polylactic acid too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surface Design

Ming Dynasty Recessed-leg Table with Everted Flanges (4)HD RENDERS AND EXPLODED VIEW

Mushroom Castle for the CAD Class Assignment