Chinese Ming Dynasty Furniture Study

 I really like Chinese Antique Furniture, especially the Ming Dynasty style. So I chose a Ming Dynasty long decorative desk for my reversed-engineered object study. 

This is the desk I found in a furniture book.


The size of this desk is 
240cm (l) * 45cm(w) * 88cm(h)

It has 19 parts.

 Desktop: 4 sidebars, one center top board, 2 long decorative bars, front and back.

 Desk legs: 2 side stands (each stand includes one decorative panel, one top connecting bar, 2 supportive side stands, one small bottom connecting bar, and one large bottom connecting bar)


The magic feature of this kind of desk is that it can be connected without glue or nails. The whole desk structure relies on several mortise and tenon joints.


I found some joint models in the same book that might be applied to this desk.

This model can help to understand how the sidebars connected to the centre board

This model can help to understand how 2 small boards are connected to a large centre board.  

 

The following joint models could be used to connect the desk board with the legs.









 


Here is a similar desk I found online. We can see the detailed structure of this kind of desk. 







I still need to do a lot more studies about the mortise and tenon joints. They are very delicate and need very precise measurements. Hopefully, I can make it work. ^_^








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surface Design

Ming Dynasty Recessed-leg Table with Everted Flanges (4)HD RENDERS AND EXPLODED VIEW

Mushroom Castle for the CAD Class Assignment